I welcome the opportunity to make a submission to the Committee on this Bill. I make this submission as an academic with a disciplinary background in law whose research focuses on issues of public policy, social justice, human rights and Indigenous peoples.
My submission will draw attention to several problems with the proposed Bill:
1. The welfare discourse underpinning this Bill perpetuates destructive mythology about the poor.
2. Workfare regimes are inherently problematic and should be abandoned.
3. There are issues with the exercise of review rights.
4. There are issues with working for income managed/quarantined welfare income.
5. There are human rights incompatibility issues with the Bill which make it fundamentally unsuited to a society aspiring to uphold human dignity.
Read the full submission via the link below.