Anthea Roberts has experience as an arbitrator, an expert and counsel in international investment and commercial arbitrations, and as an expert and counsel in public international law claims before international and domestic courts.
Representative examples of her case experience include:
- Sole arbitrator in an ICC arbitration seated in New York (English law) concerning contractual disputes and tort claims.
- Arbitrator in an ICC arbitration seated in New York (NY law) concerning contractual and IP disputes.
- Counsel for Australia in APR v. Australia (UNCITRAL investment treaty arbitration).
- Expert witness in an ICSID arbitration for a Central Asian state concerning the interpretation of Chinese investment treaties.
- Expert on public international law issues for five multinational companies in cases before the French courts.
- Counsel for a US company in an ICSID Additional Facility arbitration against Canada under the NAFTA (Mobil v Canada).
- Counsel for a Canadian company in two ICC arbitrations arising out energy contracts and windfall taxation in Argentina and Chile.
- Counsel for an African state in three ICC arbitrations arising out of road construction contracts and related enforcement proceedings in the United Kingdom.
- Counsel for a Brazilian company in two ICC arbitrations arising out of an energy contract in Brazil.
- Counsel for high net-worth individuals in an UNCITRAL arbitration against an Eastern European State.
- Counsel for the European Commission in Sosa v Alvarez-Machain in the US Supreme Court.
- Counsel for a company in an Alien Tort Statute case in the NY courts arising out of events in Vietnam (Vietnam Association v. Dow Chemical Company).
- Counsel for Coca-Cola in an Alien Tort Statute case in the NY courts arising out of events in Turkey (Turedi v. Coca-Cola).
- Counsel for Amnesty International in an amicus intervention before the International Criminal Court on superior orders.
- Counsel for Royal Dutch Shell in a putative worldwide class action in the NY courts arising out of alleged securities fraud and in related Dutch settlement procedures.
- Counsel in a trust and choice of law dispute before the English courts.
- Counsel in an asylum case before the immigration courts in New York.
- Associate on the team for Mexico in Avena (Mex. v US) before the International Court of Justice and for follow on cases in US courts (e.g., Sanchez-Llamas v Oregon).