You might also like
‘Tara, usap tayo: Duterte beyond Facebook’, a public forum bringing together members of the Canberra Filipino community and Philippine-based human rights advocates to discuss President Rodrigo Duterte’s controversial War on Drugs, has received encouraging feedback.
Organisers have been approached by a number of the participants for follow-up activities and to pursue concrete projects that can help the campaign to stop the killings in the Philippines.
Some participants came all the way from Sydney and the Philippine Embassy as well as the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade also sent delegations to observe the event.
- Chito Gascon, Chair, Commission on Human Rights
- Roneo (Jigs) Clamor, Dep. Sec. Gen., Karapatan
- Eleaser (Budit) Carlos, Spokesperson, iDefend
- Prof. Nathan Quimpo, Tsukuba University
- Prof. Gill Boerhinger, Macquarie University
- Flint Adarne, Digong Duterte Supporters (Canberra)
- George (Butch) Kotsakis, Migrante-Australia
- Mikas Matsuzawa, Phillipine Star
The event was livestreamed on Facebook and was viewed by more than 1,000 people. Those interested can still watch the recording online at https://www.facebook.com/events/690135867807522/?active_tab=discussion. (Facebook login required.)
The forum as sponsored by CIGJ, the ANU Filipino Assocation, the Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance and various community organisations.