Date & time
When Rodrigo Duterte assumed the presidency of the Republic of the Philippines in 2016, his administration identified 10 socio-economic agenda to prioritise, which include:
- Maintaining current macroeconomic fiscal, monetary, and trade policies;
- Instituting progressive tax reform and more effective tax collection while indexing taxes to inflation;
- Increasing competitiveness and ease of doing business;
- Accelerating annual infrastructure spending to account for 5% of GDP;
- Promoting rural and value chain development toward increasing agricultural and rural enterprise productivity and rural tourism;
- Ensuring security of land tenure to encourage investment;
- Investing in human capital development;
- Promoting science, technology, and creative arts to enhance innovation;
- Improving social protection programs; and
- Strengthening the implementation of the Responsible Parenthood and Reproductive Health law.
This presentation will highlight laws passed during the last three years (2016-18) of the Duterte’s administration in line with his 10-point socio-economic agenda including any variations thereof. The Presidential Legislative Liaison Office (PLLO), as the executive’s legislative arm in coordination with the Philippine Congress, monitors and tracks these priorities with various departments and government agencies. Further, PLLO will present the key legislative priorities of this administration for the remaining three years (2019-2022).
About the Speaker
Gerard Salapantan is Undersecretary of the Presidential Legislative Liaison Office (PLLO), Office of the President, Republic of the Philippines. Prior to joining the PLLO, he has held other senior government positions in the Senate of the Philippines, Office of the Presidential Chief of Staff as Assistant Secretary, Office of the Presidential Assistant for Central and North Luzon as Executive Director, and Head of Public Relations and Constituency Affairs at the Office of Secretary, Department of Justice (DOJ) in 1995.
Undersecretary Salapantan oversees the seamless coordination of legislative priorities of the executive branch of government with the Senate and House of Representatives. PLLO is mandated to promote presidential legislative initiatives and other administration-sponsored priority policy reforms and development programs responsive to the realisation of the President’s Social Contract with the Filipino people and the achievement of the Philippine Development Plan.
The PLLO continues to serve as technical adviser to the Legislative-Executive Development Advisory Council (LEDAC) particularly in the formulation and shepherding of the shared policy reform priorities of the two branches of government under a Common Legislative Agenda. It maintains its active participation in the roundtable discussions on national security and defense issues with the National Security Council, and on multi-sectoral legislative policy issues on human development with the National Anti-poverty Commission.